When Fender bought out Jackson Guitars Alexi was told it would take 1 year for them to build him a new signature guitar. When ESP told him it would only take them 3 months it was a no-brainer for him to switch. The Alexi Laiho signature is basically a Jackson RR Custom clone with some added visual flair.
The design of the guitar plays on the black pinstripe on white look that the Jackson RR1 Rhoads has, but with a more stylized look. The shark fin points on the body are straighter and slightly curved as opposed to the true edges on the RR.
Like the more expensive Jackson RR models the Alexi ESP is designed with neck-through-body construction for maximum sustain. The body is made of alder and the neck is made with maple with an ebony fingerboard. The 24 XJ frets are decorated with custom saw tooth inlays.
For a $4000 suggested retail guitar I am a little shocked by this: the guitar only has one EMG HZ-4 Pickup in the bridge position and one volume control. For the minimalists it may be great but to me that just seems like a rip. Alexi being another avid tremolo user his guitar has an original Floyd Rose tremolo bridge.
- Alder Body/Maple Neck/Ebony Fingerboard
- Neck-thru-body construction
- 4 XJ Frets/Saw blade Pearl Inlays
- 1 EMG-HZ H-4 Pickup in the Bridge
- Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
That raps up my 7 day look at metal guitars. You can check out all of the previous posts here:
- Guitar Reviews: March Metal Madness
- Fender Stratocaster Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Guitar
- ESP KH-2 Kirk Hammett Signature Guitar
- ESP Ninja 600 Michael Amott Signature Guitar
- Gibson Les Paul Zakk Wylde CAMO Signature Guitar
- Jackson RR1 Randy Rhoads Signature Guitar
- Dean USA Razorback Tribute Dimebag Darrell Signature Guitar
- ESP Alexi Laiho Signature Guitar